The opening of the new central station access from Europaplatz took place on September 28 and with it a circle in the history of our office was accomplished. The newly constructed roof of the station access is a further structural development of the SBB main railway station roofs project, a key project of Lüchinger+Meyer’s early years. Through the renewed cooperation with mit Marcel Meili, Markus Peter Architekten and Knapkiewicz & Fickert Architekten, it was possible to achieve design continuity.
The new roof is considered a “monument” to our own work and is also a tribute to the “father of the S-Bahn Zurich” Hans Künzi. The artist Carsten Höller installed a monument of a special kind on the underside of the roof: 400 illuminated, L-shaped circles move at different speeds and in different directions – a symbolic image of public mobility, which the Zurich government and national councillor Künzi (1924-2004) was committed to throughout his life.