|Client||Baudirektion Kanton Zürich|
|Architects||Rossetti + Wyss Architekten, Zollikon|
|Construction cost||1.4 Mio. Fr.|
|Services||Structure and excavation:
Tender documentation phase
|Awards||- American Architecture Prize 2016 in Gold (Architectural Design: Industrial Buildings)
- American Architecture Prize 2016 in Silber (Architectural Design: Green Architecture)
- International Design Award IDA 2016 (Silber)
- Award "best architects 16"
- Gesteckt und gestapelt – Der Werkhof Andelfingen (CH) als moderner Industrie-Strickbau
- Contrasting approaches to load-bearing timber structures
The functional requirements of the building determine its supporting structure. The façade and the interior corridor walls are load-bearing, which allows a high degree of flexibility in dividing up the classroom space. However, the façade, which is set back in several places, and the changing corridor arrangement result in a complex load transfer system for the vertical loads. Most of the corridor walls are constructed as self-supporting wall panels, to allow generous spans across the interior space.
The components of the supporting structure must meet the requirements of fitness for use, as well as for structural stability. All the interior walls are therefore constructed in fair-faced concrete. The requirements regarding structural stability and those arising due to the selected formwork arrangement mean that special attention must be paid to the structural components.