For some time now, passengers on the SBB railway line have been able to admire an impressive scene on the northern side of St. Gallen station: the skeleton of the new University of Applied Sciences has been growing skywards since 2008. A 66 metre high tower rises above an 18 metre high pedestal building erected over four underground car park levels, forming an urban counterpart to the towers of the main post office and the town hall. In cooperation with the architectural office of giuliani.hönger, the construction engineers of Dr. Lüchinger+Meyer supported the planning phase for the complex building structure from the successful competition through to its implementation.
Now, a tree adorns the top of the tower because the topping-out ceremony was held on 21 February 2012. This means that the building’s upward growth is complete, and the departments of Economics, Technology and Social Work will commence operations with 1700 students next year.